The Franciscan Sisters of Chicago opened Madonna High School in 1949 at the corner of Belmont and Pulaski. The school’s mission was to provide high quality Catholic secondary education to young women on Chicago’s north side . For more than 50 years, Madonna High School kept this mission alive, at one time serving as many as 1,200 students. Unfortunately, due to declining enrollment and the economic pressures on private city schools, Madonna High School was forced to close its doors. Upon the closure of the school, the Franciscan Sisters of Chicago formed the Madonna Foundation to carry on the legacy and mission of Madonna High School.